Switching workspaces with dual monitors

Mișu Moldovan dumol at xfce.org
Thu Dec 18 11:55:26 CET 2014

On 18 December 2014 at 12:22, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:
> I recently bought a second monitor, and set it up with no problems.
> However, when I switch workspace on one screen, the other screen also
> switches. Is it possible to switch workspace on only one screen at a
> time, and still be able to drag windows from one screen to the other?

Here's what I do to achieve this… I have a main LCD display rotated at
90° (used for work) and a second CRT display (for watching TV and
sometimes YouTube and the like). To have the TV app full-screen and
always visible, I mark it as sticky in the windows manager. This is
easily togglable in the right-menu of the window manager (right-click
the title bar of that window to get to it). You might want to
associate a key shortcut to this action in Xfce's settings manager.

> I've been googling and searching forums and mailing list archives, and
> not found much, except suggestions to try xmonad. And I would, if I
> wanted a tiling wm.

10 years ago, when I started using this setup, Xfwm4 was the only one
to reliably work for me, which was a major reason for settling on
Xfce. Things could be different now, but I've been pretty much happy
with what I've got.

On a related note, it would be nice to be able to configure the popup
menu that appears when changing the active window via keyboard to only
show up on the display with the mouse cursor, but I haven't bothered
to fill up a feature request on Xfce's Bugzilla. I secretly wished
someone would make this configurable… :)