xfwm4 crashing at first session

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 25 14:25:30 CEST 2012

Hi

I have an embedded system with xfce 4.8 (had tests with 4.10 with
similar results). This starts into console as root and I do
startxfce4. At the first session windows have no border and after
starting xfwm4 in xfce console everything is fine. A while ago I
checked: somehow xfwm4 is crashing.

Now I found a bit time to dig into it a bit: Seems that the carash is
related to empty /home/root when starting first session. If I manually
copy /etc/xdg/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
to /home/root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml
(coming along with libxfce4ui) xfwm4 does not crash at first
xfce4-session.

Without really understanding what's going on I changed in
libxfce4kbd-private/xfce-shortcuts-provider.c

* all xfconf_channel_new ("xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts") ->
xfconf_channel_get ("xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts")
* all xfconf_channel_get ("xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts") ->
xfconf_channel_new ("xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts")

but no change.

Any suggestions where to dig further to find a proper fix?

Andreas