"preferences-desktop-keyboard" icon in xfce4-settings-manager

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Aug 26 23:46:56 CEST 2008

Stefan Stuhr wrote:
> tir, 26 08 2008 kl. 22:19 +0200, skrev Christian Dywan:
>> Hey,
>>
>> doesn't seem to helpful to switch to the wrong icon. The only
>> reasonable options are imho these:
>>
>> a) Try to use the right icon - and register the wrong icon as a fallback
>> so it still emits a warning that tells the user to fix their theme.
>
> I don't believe this to be supported by .desktop files.

Correct.

>> b) Deliver an icon with Xfce that you install in hi-color, so there is
>> always *something* even though it isn't provided by the theme.
>
> Now, that would be the wrong choice. Suppose that several applications
> makes use of the icon in question, and that they all have users
> experiencing this problem. Now, if they all were to use this choice,
> then they would all try to install icons (more than one size, typically)
> to the exact same locations in the hicolor theme. This is a very bad
> idea, IMHO.

That's the exact point I was about to bring up.  This also makes it a
headache for distro packagers who now have files in multiple packages
with the same name causing conflicts.

> The best way, IMHO, to install and use custom icons is one I remember
> seeing once, probably in a GNOME Planet post or some such place. The
> idea, as far as I remember it, is to install the custom icons as an icon
> theme in $DATADIR/$APPLICATION_NAME/icons/hicolor, and add
> $DATADIR/$APPLICATION_NAME/icons/ to the GTK+ icon theme search path
> (gtk_icon_theme_append_search_path()).

Yeah, I remember reading this on Planet GNOME as well ^_^.  It's a great
idea, but it's a PITA to do for every app to work around icon themes
that are missing icons.  I'd rather someone just file a bug against
Tango and tell them preferences-desktop-keyboard is missing.  If they're
too lazy/busy/whatever to draw a new icon, perhaps they'll just symlink
it to a similar existing icon for now.

(As it turns out, the gnome icon theme does indeed have
preferences-desktop-keyboard, and Tango inherits from gnome, so that's
why the icon shows up on my system.)

	-brian