"preferences-desktop-keyboard" icon in xfce4-settings-manager

Robby Workman xfce at rlworkman.net
Wed Aug 27 21:15:07 CEST 2008

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Stefan Stuhr wrote:
>> tir, 26 08 2008 kl. 22:19 +0200, skrev Christian Dywan:
>>> Hey,
>>>
>>> doesn't seem to helpful to switch to the wrong icon. The only
>>> reasonable options are imho these:
>>>
>>> a) Try to use the right icon - and register the wrong icon as a fallback
>>> so it still emits a warning that tells the user to fix their theme.
>> I don't believe this to be supported by .desktop files.
>
> Correct.
>
>>> b) Deliver an icon with Xfce that you install in hi-color, so there is
>>> always *something* even though it isn't provided by the theme.
>> Now, that would be the wrong choice. Suppose that several applications
>> makes use of the icon in question, and that they all have users
>> experiencing this problem. Now, if they all were to use this choice,
>> then they would all try to install icons (more than one size, typically)
>> to the exact same locations in the hicolor theme. This is a very bad
>> idea, IMHO.
>
> That's the exact point I was about to bring up.  This also makes it a
> headache for distro packagers who now have files in multiple packages
> with the same name causing conflicts.

I poked around with this in working on wicd a few months ago.  The optimal
solution there (although it's not implemented) is to "prefer" the generic
themed icon as Christian suggested above, but fall back to an app-specific
name if the preferred one isn't present.  I found some stuff
suggesting that
this was possible with glade, but that's as far as I got, unfortunately.

-RW