about the xdg user dirs again

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Tue Aug 12 16:47:08 CEST 2008

Am Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:16:18 +0200
schrieb Andrea Santilli <yawara at quipo.it>:

> Just a couple of questions about the ideal implementation of the user
> directory compatibility thing.
>
> Does anyone mind if I let thunar write the user directories in gconf?
> In this way other applications that have no dependencies on thunar
> might access those values without having to reinvent the wheel.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people mind, many people actually don't have
gconf and still use Xfce. It's not something that you can depend on.
If it were a good idea to store these paths anywhere, that would be
xfconf. Please have a look at Xfce trunk if you are interested.

Now I said *if it were* since I'm not convinced that is the right
approach. Isn't the whole point of the ".dirs" files to store custom
directories names? I don't quite follow why we should dublicate that.

ciao,
    Christian