about the xdg user dirs again

Andrea Santilli yawara at quipo.it
Tue Aug 12 16:16:18 CEST 2008

Just a couple of questions about the ideal implementation of the user
directory compatibility thing.

Does anyone mind if I let thunar write the user directories in gconf?
In this way other applications that have no dependencies on thunar might
access those values without having to reinvent the wheel.

I thought about this: an "auto" value for a directory key that tries to
fetch the xdg user directory pathname. You could override that value by
entering a new path but if this is unexisting or inaccessible it could
switch back to auto.

Also, in auto mode, the desktop and template directories could be
created in they dont exist and point to ~/Desktop and ~/Templates if
they aren't defined by the xdg thing while the other directories could
point to ~ in the same case.

Then the UI development would follow.

What do you think?