XFCE on FreeBSD 5.1

edscott wilson garcia edscott at prodigy.net.mx
Fri Aug 8 03:33:26 CEST 2003

On jue, 2003-08-07 at 12:59, Dinesh Nadarajah wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> With all the emails about FreeBSD 5.1 and i18n issues, I thought I'd
> share with you a couple of things I have run into.
>
> 1. The FreeBSD port does not seem to have properly installed translated
> messages. I cannot find them in my system (I am running RC2). This may
> be a port issue or something else. Don't know.
>
> 2. So to install the po files, I downloaded the source and manually
> started install the po files (into
> /usr/X11R6/share/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES) but to no avail. The XFCE apps.
> don't seem to recognize it. Other Gnome apps. such as gedit work fine.
> When I run xfce apps. such as xffm I get the following error though the
> app. runs fine:
>
> (process:91285): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
>
> (process:91285): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
>         Using the fallback 'C' locale.
> Warning, can't open /home/user23/.xfce4/xffm/xffm.reg
>
> I similar messages runnign other Gnome apps, but not the gtk-WARNING
> and the translations do show.
>
> I a not sure if these represent known issues. If anyone has had success
> resolving this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This is a quote from Joakim which might help you:

"That is most likely because the locale you're using is not installed on
the system. I suppose you're trying with es_MX? When I checked, I saw
that that locale isn't present on my system (and thus most likely not on
yours), strangely enough. Try with es_ES.ISO8859-1 instead, allthough i
would guess it is less than ideal regarding currency, etc.

To clarify, I have no such problems, the only programs that
internationalisation won't work for are the xfce4 programs."

regards

Edscott