XFCE on FreeBSD 5.1

Dinesh Nadarajah dinesh_list at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 7 19:59:41 CEST 2003

Hi all:

With all the emails about FreeBSD 5.1 and i18n issues, I thought I'd
share with you a couple of things I have run into.

1. The FreeBSD port does not seem to have properly installed translated
messages. I cannot find them in my system (I am running RC2). This may
be a port issue or something else. Don't know.

2. So to install the po files, I downloaded the source and manually
started install the po files (into
/usr/X11R6/share/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES) but to no avail. The XFCE apps.
don't seem to recognize it. Other Gnome apps. such as gedit work fine.
When I run xfce apps. such as xffm I get the following error though the
app. runs fine:

(process:91285): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

(process:91285): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Warning, can't open /home/user23/.xfce4/xffm/xffm.reg

I similar messages runnign other Gnome apps, but not the gtk-WARNING
and the translations do show.

I a not sure if these represent known issues. If anyone has had success
resolving this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

_Dinesh