libxfce4util i18n broken (follow-up)

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Aug 7 21:31:08 CEST 2003

On Thu, 07, Aug 2003, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Benny,

Olivier,

> Le jeu 07/08/2003 à 20:10, Benedikt Meurer a écrit :
> > As said, youre the boss, and I have no time to look at this in detail
> > currently. Just my 0.02$...
>
> The problem is really not me being the boss... The problem is that we
> currently have an impl that does not work in "real" life...
>
> The current implementation uses the nls.alias files. The file we provide
> has 74 line (counting the comments).
>
> If you look at the file locale.alias provided by XFree, it features 1572
> entries. Now, if you feel like maintaining hundreds of entries, it's
> fine with me. I would prefer a more "general" approach like the one
> Jasper implemented.
>
> You might see this as a hack, I see it as a realistic approach. The
> nicest, greatest implementation in the world is useless if it doesn't
> work as expected.
>
> I understand that you don't have time to work on this now, but you must
> understand that we must release software that works (mostly :) )and we
> shall not wait undefinitely for you to fix the current implementation.

To be realistic: xfce_get_path_localized() is used to get localized
files, e.g. in xfce4-about or xfdesktop and I don't see 1572 or more
INFO.* files in xfce4-about or 1572 menu.xml.* files in xfdesktop, and
I don't think we'll ever get into this situation any time in the
future (translators may proove me wrong). Anyway the current way is
flexible and more than able to handle the problem in a realistic way,
and I see no need to replace it with a possibly not so nice
implementation.

This current libxfce4util "problem" is not that bad, but I fear, that
once we start to add workarounds to one part of libxfce4util, we might
end up adding workarounds to other parts of xfce, and probably end up
like Gnome, glibc or Linux with lots of workarounds but no real
solutions. I like xfce because we don't do so.

Just my 2 cents...

regards,
Benedikt

--