[OT]Re: libxfce4util i18n broken (follow-up)

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 12:26:37 CEST 2003

--- Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
> Benny,
>
> > BTW: The better fix for the GDM problem would be to check it in
> > startxfce4 and set LC_ALL to the correct value. That would work
> with
> > non-xfce programs as well and there would be no need to introduce a
> > workaround to libxfce4util. I want libxfce4util to be as clean as
> > possible, so please consider the startxfce4 before committing any
> > hacks to libxfce4util.
>
> Making things work is not necessarily a hack.

Here's a hack:
A guy writes quite a long PERL program and later finds out that
sometimes his parser chokes when it has to deal with 2 newlines
back-to-back. What does he do?  He writes new code and "chomps" the
newlines and replaces them with a single whitespace.  So now he does
not have that problem.
Of course any file that gets parsed which ends with a new blank line
now gets a space that was not there before _and_ the newline/s has/have
vanished. (it was a bad hack too)

Since that hack is completely undocumented outside of the code, anybody
using the SW has no clue as to why the EOF cannot be found... until
they read the code and comments.

And people still wonder why Open Source is better... ;)

> Cheers,
> --
> Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org
>
>    Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
>    http://www.xfce.org

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Mondale knew this was gonna be a bad day when he called
Dial-a-Prayer and the taped message answered him by name.
 -- Bob Hope, 1903-2003