libxfce4util i18n broken (follow-up)

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Thu Aug 7 20:26:05 CEST 2003

Benny,

Le jeu 07/08/2003 à 20:10, Benedikt Meurer a écrit :
> As said, youre the boss, and I have no time to look at this in detail
> currently. Just my 0.02$...

The problem is really not me being the boss... The problem is that we
currently have an impl that does not work in "real" life...

The current implementation uses the nls.alias files. The file we provide
has 74 line (counting the comments).

If you look at the file locale.alias provided by XFree, it features 1572
entries. Now, if you feel like maintaining hundreds of entries, it's
fine with me. I would prefer a more "general" approach like the one
Jasper implemented.

You might see this as a hack, I see it as a realistic approach. The
nicest, greatest implementation in the world is useless if it doesn't
work as expected.

I understand that you don't have time to work on this now, but you must
understand that we must release software that works (mostly :) )and we
shall not wait undefinitely for you to fix the current implementation.

Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org