xfce3rc -> xfce4rc conversion ?

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 06:30:22 CEST 2003

Hi:

Thanks for the info.

--- Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at moongroup.com> wrote:
> FYI,
>
> Mickael Graf was working on a C based conversion program. He is away
> at the moment I believe.
>
> I have some code, if anyone is intersted, let me know.

Prewritten code is always good. :) So, yes.  Thanks.

> Mickael, if you read this, are you still working on it?

 I'll copy to
Mickael Graf|mgf at bredband.net

> I don't have enough time to really look at it myself.

That's okay, I understand.

But a couple of questions about how it should fit into XFce4.
Do you think this should be a panel plugin under the "Add new item" so
a user can 'add' " XFce3 Panel " ?
or
do you think it should be just part of the setup for XFce4( and :.
would replace the default panel with XFce3 panel items if xfce3rc
exists and user wants the transformation )?
or
Also, it might just be better just to update XFce3 to use the new XML
format and cut a (probably final) release: 3.9.  Then both XFce3 and
XFce4 users could receive benefits from the work.  Besides, going from
XFce 3.9 to XFce 4.0 could make the transition easier if XFce 3.9 has
just a few things done to it.
Do you know if that would be harder, or easier in the long run?- do you
know if there was any thought/work put into that?

> 	Jasper

It is going to take a lot of time for me to get it done, even with the
graciuos offer from MWO'Phinney  since my XML knowledge is basic. I'll,
among other things, have to learn how to use libxml2 unless there are
some higher level bindings in python or PERL that will keep that from
being necessary.

I'll have a look-c...  Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be easier
than it appears.  I hope so, as keeping current XFce users happy is a
good thing(TM).  The time to transfer a twelve menu XFce3 panel(> 100
items) to equivalent in XFce4 is quite prohibitive.
Although I must also say that you et al have made it as easy as it can
be without a direct conversion program. Really!: Add new item/type a
few words/check a box or 2 and bingo!  Short of a voice controlled
interface, I do not see how it could be easier to add just one item...

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Mondale knew this was gonna be a bad day when he called
Dial-a-Prayer and the taped message answered him by name.
 -- Bob Hope, 1903-2003