xfce3rc -> xfce4rc conversion ?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Fri Aug 1 08:00:24 CEST 2003

Le voilá:

http://members.home.nl/xfce4/files/xf324.tar.gz

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
Ric <fhj52ads at yahoo.com> wrote:
> But a couple of questions about how it should fit into XFce4.
> Do you think this should be a panel plugin under the "Add new item" so
> a user can 'add' " XFce3 Panel " ?

certainly not ;)

> or
> do you think it should be just part of the setup for XFce4( and :.
> would replace the default panel with XFce3 panel items if xfce3rc
> exists and user wants the transformation )?

Yes, a separate script/program. Just to have the possibility to convert.

A. Can I import my XFce 3 settings?
Q. Yes, just get the 'my_fancy_conversion_script.pl' here: ...

> or
> Also, it might just be better just to update XFce3 to use the new XML
> format and cut a (probably final) release: 3.9.  Then both XFce3 and
> XFce4 users could receive benefits from the work.  Besides, going from
> XFce 3.9 to XFce 4.0 could make the transition easier if XFce 3.9 has
> just a few things done to it.

No way ;-)

> I'll have a look-c...  Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be easier
> than it appears.  I hope so, as keeping current XFce users happy is a
> good thing(TM).  The time to transfer a twelve menu XFce3 panel(> 100
> items) to equivalent in XFce4 is quite prohibitive.

The hardest thing is probably to find out the xfce3 file format,
especially the correct order and the builtin icons (they have been
assigned numbers).

I suggest you limit yourself to the panel contents, at least initialy.
The other settings are easy enough to change from the settings manager.

	Jasper