Strange Icon Layout Behaviour

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 21 12:19:12 CET 2014

Hi

I have a problem with desktop icons in Xfce 4.10, running on Mint 17.1 (though it was the same on 16 and 17)

I group my icons horizontally by category (e.g graphics, audio, etc) with a gap between each group. At first these groups would not survive a reboot or login, returning to a fairly random top/bottom left/right stack, so I found a fix to "lock" their position using:

sudo chattr +i ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/icon

I have my computer set to autologin, so that when I reboot it takes me straight to the desktop. The icons lose their grouping again. However, if I subsequently logout and back in then the grouping returns to the way I want it. It would seem that autologin bypasses a process step in laying out the desktop.

It makes no difference whether I shutdown the computer with Save Settings TRUE or FALSE.

Any ideas, please?

Regards

Nige