Switching workspaces with dual monitors

Jeffrey Revock jeffrey.revock at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 13:11:47 CET 2014

On 18 December 2014 at 12:22, Petter Adsen <petter at synth.no> wrote:
> I recently bought a second monitor, and set it up with no problems.
> However, when I switch workspace on one screen, the other screen also
> switches. Is it possible to switch workspace on only one screen at a
> time, and still be able to drag windows from one screen to the other?
> I've been googling and searching forums and mailing list archives, and
> not found much, except suggestions to try xmonad. And I would, if I
> wanted a tiling wm.

If being able to drag windows across screens isn't absolutely necessary,
setting up a separate X screen for each monitor does exactly what you
want.  While I'm not sure what your setup is, I use two Nvidia cards, each
attached via displayport to a separate monitor.  While most desktop
functions are shared, each monitor has its own separate workspaces.  The
only limitation that really affected me was the lack of a shared clipboard,
and using a program like CopyQ solved that nicely.