Is there a way to refresh the in-memory font cache?

Mișu Moldovan dumol at xfce.org
Wed Dec 3 14:42:28 CET 2014

On 3 December 2014 at 06:59, John W <jwdevel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am being hit by the issue described here:
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/14494/screen-corruption-after-hibernate-is-there-another-way-to-refresh-the-x11-disp
>
> Here is a screenshot displaying the issue: http://imgur.com/VDOPUsP
> (note the small text, especially)
>
> I find that I can fix the issue on a font-by-font basis by changing
> the default system font.
> For instance, changing it from 10pt to 9pt, then back to 10pt fixed
> the 10pt font (and 9pt).

I used to play with changing fonts alot and fc-cache helped solve some
related issues but I'm not sure it will help here. This seems to be a
BIOS or driver issue, better try a different way to hibernate. In
Linux there are three different solutions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation_(computing)#Linux

But first of all update the BIOS to the latest version and
dist-upgrade your Debian, I see on StackExchange that you are using
Debian 6, which is out of support since 2014-05-31 according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Release_timeline