Is there a way to refresh the in-memory font cache?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Dec 3 13:03:11 CET 2014

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 11:16:37 +0000
killermoehre at gmx.net wrote:
> Use xfconf-query to manipulate those settings.

A nice feature. I wasn't aware about it, since I don't use Xfce4, but
openbox and JWM instead. Anyway, I'm using a few Xfce4 apps too. E.g.
to toggle between screen blanking enabled and disabled on JWM I run

      <Program label="Screen Blanking on">
         killall xfce4-power-manager ; xfce4-power-manager
      </Program>
      <Program label="Screen Blanking off">
         killall xfce4-power-manager
      </Program>

That's ok for my needs, but assumed I would need it for other settings
too, xfconf-query would be the better way to go.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ xfconf-query -vc xfce4-power-manager -l
/xfce4-power-manager/blank-on-ac       9
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-off    50
/xfce4-power-manager/dpms-on-ac-sleep  10
/xfce4-power-manager/show-tray-icon    1

Cool.

Btw. what would happen, if we would edit the config files, resp. link
between config files? I suspect that they might not get applied, but I
guess it neither wouldn't cause issues.

I wonder why ...

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ openbox --help
  --restart           Restart Openbox
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ jwm --help
  -restart    Restart JWM (send _JWM_RESTART to the root)
[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ xfwm4 --help

... no restart option, just the replace option is provided by xfwm4.

[rocketmouse at archlinux ~]$ pidof openbox ; openbox --restart ; pidof openbox
26272
26272

A restart IMO seems to be the best way for a refresh.
Perhaps it's worth to file a feature request against xfwm4.