Is there a way to refresh the in-memory font cache?

John W jwdevel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 05:59:53 CET 2014

I am being hit by the issue described here:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/14494/screen-corruption-after-hibernate-is-there-another-way-to-refresh-the-x11-disp

Here is a screenshot displaying the issue: http://imgur.com/VDOPUsP
(note the small text, especially)

I find that I can fix the issue on a font-by-font basis by changing
the default system font.
For instance, changing it from 10pt to 9pt, then back to 10pt fixed
the 10pt font (and 9pt).

So somehow, performing those actions in the GUI does something that
refreshes the in-memory representation of a font.

I want to be able to perform that action myself, so I don't have to
manually cycle through 100 fonts to fix the issue.

It is clear that somewhere, deep down in XFCE, it is able to do this,
but I have no idea what the right incantation is to do the same from
the commandline. Searching has been difficult ):

Any guru have a pointer?

Thanks
-John