Hate panel interaction with window managers. Way to nullify it?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 10:48:01 CET 2012

Paul,

This the whole point of the semantic of window in the EWMH specifications... [1]

The panel sets its type to "dock", the window manager then *may*
decide to treat those particular type of windows differently.

You said you use Compiz, then if Compiz does not treat the dock
windows the way you like, then report that to Compiz.

As the maintainer of xfwm4, I do believe that Compiz does that right
and if you were asking about xfwm4 I would certainly reject the idea
of treating the panel differently from what it is now. The cast
majority of users do expect the panel to remain above other windows
and I believe it's the way it should be. But again, that depends on
the window manager so you may have more luck with Compiz.

Anyway, nothing xfce4-panel can do about. I would certainly oppose
fixing what's not broken, even, I admit, if you hate the way it is
now...

Note, not all hope is lost on your side either, you may want to patch
th code to change the type of the panel window, or even use a 3rd
party tool to change the type dynamically (types are just properties
applied to windows, really), but there, you're on your own.

Cheers,
Olivier

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.4.html#id2560306