Hate panel interaction with window managers. Way to nullify it?

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Mon Nov 26 17:38:50 CET 2012

On 26/11/12 01:48 AM, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Paul,
>
> This the whole point of the semantic of window in the EWMH specifications... [1]
>
> The panel sets its type to "dock", the window manager then *may*
> decide to treat those particular type of windows differently.
>
> You said you use Compiz, then if Compiz does not treat the dock
> windows the way you like, then report that to Compiz.
>
> As the maintainer of xfwm4, I do believe that Compiz does that right
> and if you were asking about xfwm4 I would certainly reject the idea
> of treating the panel differently from what it is now. The cast
> majority of users do expect the panel to remain above other windows
> and I believe it's the way it should be. But again, that depends on
> the window manager so you may have more luck with Compiz.
>
> Anyway, nothing xfce4-panel can do about. I would certainly oppose
> fixing what's not broken, even, I admit, if you hate the way it is
> now...

You can never tell anyone else what they 'should' want, and of course
Paul has every right to want what he wants, but I must agree with
Oliver.  The panels are not broken and the idea of wanting it to be half
hideable strikes me as beyond strange.  Still, I hope Paul can hack the
code to get what he wants.

BTW, I have one bitch about the panels.  I have my panels on the tops of
all my screens cuz I find my mouse spends most of it's time near the
tops of the screens anyway, so that's where I like the panels.  But
there seems to be no way of getting rid of the bottom panel of screen
0.  I have nothing on it, and it's set to autohide so that it's more or
less out of the way, but I'd still like to get rid of it entirely.