Hate panel interaction with window managers. Way to nullify it?

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 14:04:44 CET 2012

On 25/11/2012 06:16, Paul Johnson wrote:
> In the early days of Gnome, before they became so paternalistic, I
> recall a panel setting similar to "treat as ordinary window".  Or am I
> dreaming of a  happier day that never truly existed :) I am not sure.

In xfce4-panel 4.10, there is the setting named "Don't reserve space on
borders" :
"Normally, maximized application windows do not overlap the panel.
Setting this option disables this behavior and allows the windows to
stretch to the screen edge."

But with it enabled, the panel shows on top of a maximized window. You
can see the window under the panel, but when you click on that area you
interact with the panel, not the maximized window which is partially
under it.

Maybe the z-order of the xfce4-panel is "wrong", I don't know.