terminals show up anywhere.

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Nov 24 11:47:03 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 09:50:21AM -0800, Ray Andrews wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> This isn't a huge issue,  but someone might have a comment anyway:
> So the 'sessions' bug--when it happens what I've taken to doing is
> having a backup session with my essential stuff open where I like
> it. I just copy that over the files in .cache/sessions and it works
> fine.  However, part of this 'default session' is having five
> Terminals open-- 0 and 1 on left monitor 2 and 3 in the center, and
> 4 on the right monitor.  When I restore my default, I get all five
> Terminals, but their numbers are all mixed up.  I get used to having
> them where I expect them to be, so this is a bit of a nuisance.  Can
> anything be done?

This is a common requirement!  :-)

In the 'old days' of TWM, FVWM and so on it was always very simple, part
of the "raison d'etre" of a window manager was to have a mechanism which
allowed on to start application windows in specific places on specific
desktops when X booted.

It seems that 'modern' window managers (or desktop environment) seem to
have forgotten about this requirement (of some users, me included).
It's about the only reason I keep on considering leaving xubuntu/xfce.

--
Chris Green