bug

Worrier Poet Worrier.Poet at comcast.net
Sun Nov 18 21:47:03 CET 2012

On 11/18/2012 02:34 PM, Ray Andrews wrote:
> On 18/11/12 11:14 AM, houghi wrote:
>> Most of the times I then find what I did to cause the situation. I
>> always assume that I did something to cause it. That will always be my
>> startingpoint and 99% of the time that is it. houghi
> Oh, no question about that, it is something I did alright, since the
> problem didn't exist previously.  Just after I made my theme, I did a
> rather brutal disk cleanup, and in the process I deleted a dozen themes
> that I'll never use.  Some how, in all that, I killed something
> important.  All I'm saying as far as this being a bug is that whatever I
> did is only a problem on startup, after which I can reload any theme
> without trouble.  If the theme was fundamentally broken, it shouldn't
> reload ok, but it does.  And unless these themes somehow talk to each
> other, my new theme shouldn't cause other themes to have this problem
> too.  Nope, I deleted something that does something that affects all
> themes, but only on startup and only on one one monitor out of three.
> Strange eh?

If the session is being saved when you log out, you might try unchecking
that option to see if that changes the behavior next time you log in.

And did you try changing the theme under appearances to see if that has
any effect?

Also, have you tried logging in under another user account to see if you
see the same behavior there? If the problem doesn't occur under a
freshly created user account, then the issue could be caused by nothing
more than a corruption in the session you're running under your regular
user account.

One other point re the "brutal disk cleanup" -- deleting themes, icons,
backgrounds, and other such stuff really doesn't save you much space. I
understand the desire to rid oneself of the clutter of options that
you'll never use, but sometimes this can lead to unpredictable results
-- especially when upgrades are applied to a system. Except under
special circumstances I try to make all alterations to the file
complement of the system (other than those files under my user profiles)
via the package manager.

the worrier