Nepomuk and Akonadi

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 20:40:32 CET 2012

On 14/11/2012 20:27, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 19:56 +0100, Maximilien Noal wrote:
>> On 14/11/2012 19:50, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>> I will check out Arch on distrowatch and see what gives.
>>
>> If you want to install Arch, be sure to grab the latest ISO. Upgrading
>> an installation based on an obsolete ISO is very difficult/impossible.
>>
>> Once you booted on it, you have the installation guide to follow :
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_Guide
>> And if you need it, there is the Beginners' Guide "Extra" section :
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide/Extra
>
> That is really to bad. Debian just seems to be a rolling upgrade, when
> using SID. I've been doing that for many years. Only bitten once since
> 1998.

I do not have to reinstall Arch when a new ISO comes out. The latest ISO
is only a "snapshot", not a release. It's just that Arch is so bleeding
edge that major changes breaks the "upgradability" of very old packages
and their dependencies (and with it, the installations done with
obsolete ISOs).

Of course when that happens, a new ISO (a new "snapshot" of the
repositories) is released.

That's one of the many reasons I installed Arch : Never, ever, do
anything more than "sudo pacman -Syu" to be up to date. :)

You do not have to update every 5 minutes (you have to have at least
some little time for it. And be careful of what pacman might report,
like new optional dependencies), but you must do it from time to time.