ANNOUNCE: xfce4-volumed 0.1.4 released

Steve Dodier sidnioulz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 07:33:56 CET 2009

Hi Brian,

The main reason why I only support notify-osd (more accurately, notification
daemons that implement x-canonical-synchronous) is that with other
notification daemons, we were ending up with a lot of bubbles being created
in the case of pressing the volume button till its 0 or 100%, because they
stack notifications. If you find interest in having an async notification
updating itself, I surely can write the code for that and make it available
when x-canonical-synchronous isn't supported by the daemon.

2009/10/26 Brian J. Tarricone <brian at tarricone.org>

> On 09/04/2009 10:29 AM, sidnioulz at gmail.com wrote:
> > xfce4-volumed 0.1.4 is now available for download
>
> Hey Steve,
>
> I had a chance to revisit xfce4-volumed (which I'd like to use full
> time), but I have a question about the libnotify support: why are you
> only supporting notify-osd?  It's certainly nice to have a pretty
> percentage bar with icon over having a text label for the percentage,
> but I'd rather have the latter than having absolutely no idea at all how
> loud my volume is when I press the keys (without waiting for a
> possibly-embarrassing loud noise at work to tell me exactly how loud it
> is).
>
> Also, please *please* don't do implementation specific detection.  As
> maintainer of a (different) notification daemon, it's very frustrating
> to see people write apps that use a cross-desktop technology in such a
> way that discriminates against different implementations.  If you were
> doing sniffing to work around a bug in a particular implementation,
> fine, that sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  If you're
> checking capabilities in order to provide *more* features for
> implementations that support the optional stuff, that's great.  But
> making use of non-standard extensions to a public specification and
> leaving out support for degrading gracefully just strikes me as bad form.
>
> Anyhow, if I get around to it I'll likely write a patch to fix these
> deficiencies...  in the meantime I'm sadly back to keybinds that run my
> mixer-set script and (annoyingly) pollute the screen with multiple
> notifications if I tap the key several times in quick succession.
>
>        -brian

Steve Dodier
Student at École Nationale Supérieure d'Ingénieurs de Bourges
Free Software Developer