ANNOUNCE: xfce4-volumed 0.1.4 released

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Mon Oct 26 06:14:28 CET 2009

On 09/04/2009 10:29 AM, sidnioulz at gmail.com wrote:
> xfce4-volumed 0.1.4 is now available for download

Hey Steve,

I had a chance to revisit xfce4-volumed (which I'd like to use full
time), but I have a question about the libnotify support: why are you
only supporting notify-osd?  It's certainly nice to have a pretty
percentage bar with icon over having a text label for the percentage,
but I'd rather have the latter than having absolutely no idea at all how
loud my volume is when I press the keys (without waiting for a
possibly-embarrassing loud noise at work to tell me exactly how loud it is).

Also, please *please* don't do implementation specific detection.  As
maintainer of a (different) notification daemon, it's very frustrating
to see people write apps that use a cross-desktop technology in such a
way that discriminates against different implementations.  If you were
doing sniffing to work around a bug in a particular implementation,
fine, that sucks, but you gotta do what you gotta do.  If you're
checking capabilities in order to provide *more* features for
implementations that support the optional stuff, that's great.  But
making use of non-standard extensions to a public specification and
leaving out support for degrading gracefully just strikes me as bad form.

Anyhow, if I get around to it I'll likely write a patch to fix these
deficiencies...  in the meantime I'm sadly back to keybinds that run my
mixer-set script and (annoyingly) pollute the screen with multiple
notifications if I tap the key several times in quick succession.

	-brian