Why does panel spontaneously delete things?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed Oct 29 00:15:49 CET 2008

On 2008-10-23, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/10/22 Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com>:
>> Two questions:
>>
>>  1) What's the reasoning behind the decision to permanently
>>    delete a mailwatcher it when it dies?  That makes no sense
>>    to me.  The two options that do make sense: a) restart it,
>>    b) delete it temporarily (until the next time the panel
>>    restarts).
>
> This is a bit hard to fix in the current panel implementation.

I was afraid of that.  It only happens a couple times a week,
so I guess I can wait until 4.8 is out.  If I get really
annoyed I'll just write a shell-script that automatically
restores the panel and plugin configuration files from backup
copies.

> The 4.8 panel will ask you if you want to restart the
> (external) plugin or remove it from the panel configuration
> (after an automatic restart failed).

Cool.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I love ROCK 'N ROLL!
                                  at               I memorized the all WORDS