Capslock

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Thu Oct 23 15:47:34 CEST 2008

Hello people.

I've reached that breaking point, where I start hating the capslock key
(again). Before I graduated to xorg 7.x/XFCE 4.4.2. I thought I had the
problem solved, but now it's back. And I can't put my finger on why.

I have the classic ~/.Xmodmap:

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keycode 116 = Multi_key
keycode 111 = BackSpace
keycode 108 = Return

This file _gets_ read from .xinitrc, as the 'remove' statement is really
'executed'. xmodmap (the command) shows the Lock is now unassigned (and
deleting the remove line brings it back).

Someone or something _after_ .xinitrc is reactivating the CapsLock. If I
do an xmodmap -e "remove Lock = Caps_Lock" everything works. Why not from
the .Xmodmap?

Does xfce execute any other scripts that can modify this, after
the .xinitrc? Could the SCIM have something to do with it?

Can I trace this?

John