Why does panel spontaneously delete things?

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 08:52:47 CEST 2008

2008/10/22 Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com>:
> Two questions:
>
>  1) What's the reasoning behind the decision to permanently
>    delete a mailwatcher it when it dies?  That makes no sense
>    to me.  The two options that do make sense: a) restart it,
>    b) delete it temporarily (until the next time the panel
>    restarts).

This is a bit hard to fix in the current panel implementation. The 4.8
panel will ask you if you want to restart the (external) plugin or remove
it from the panel configuration (after an automatic restart failed).

>  2) Why do the config files get overwritten when the panel
>    exits even when there have been no changes?  That makes
>    editing the configuration files a lot more painful since
>    you have to do it while the panel isn't running.

Because that's the easiest thing to do, and 'normally' nobody will
change the config file. Anyway, this will also be improved in the
4.8 panel, since it'll use xfconf all over the place, so you can
change most of the plugin settings using xfconf-query while the
panel is running.

Nick

PS. 4.8 panel will be in trunk after 4.6 is released.