Taking another peek...

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Oct 21 19:23:27 CEST 2008

Hey,

Am Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:04:24 +0100
schrieb "Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp)" <s.maddox at cyorxamp.info>:

> Lo Folks!
>
> This is my first post here, be kind :D
>
> I used to use XFCE (Xubuntu 5.10) on my desktop PC for few years a
> while back, I loved how it gave you nothing but the bare essentials,
> a file manager, a text editor, and such.  No silly music players,
> mail clients, web browsers. etc... you got to choose what you want.
> But I fell out with XFCE on a couple of points that I've put below.
> After that I've been using Debian and Gnome for some more years, but
> since using Lenny I'm even more *issed that I've got silly epiphany,
> evolution, and 17 stupid games that all depend on Gnome!
>
> KDE is now looking more yummier than ever so I thinks I'll try it
> again, but I feel I owe another look at XFCE and see things are now.
> I've continued to use XFCE on my servers to this day (the ones
> needing VNC) as its tiny.
>
> The two things I remember bugging me were...
>
> - There was no 'Drawer' equivalent...  as in put launchers in the
> sliding drawer, and that on the panel (like Gnome).

If there is no such plugin (and I think you're right here), you can
still try to use xfce4-xfapplet-plugin to use the drawer plugin from
GNOME.

> - There was no decent Menu Editor (like Alacarte in gnome) that used
> the freedesktop.org specification.

Correct. Xfce < 4.6 used a pseudo-standard menu system. 4.6 will have
good (but incomplete) support for the fd.o menu specification. In 4.2
and 4.4 there was a menu editor for the menu system used at that time,
but in 4.6 there is none. And this kind of makes sense because menu
editing (technically this is 'merging') is exactly the feature that
is not implemented in the new libxfce4menu.

  - Jannis