Taking another peek...

Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp) s.maddox at cyorxamp.info
Tue Oct 21 17:04:24 CEST 2008

Lo Folks!

This is my first post here, be kind :D

I used to use XFCE (Xubuntu 5.10) on my desktop PC for few years a while
back, I loved how it gave you nothing but the bare essentials, a file
manager, a text editor, and such.  No silly music players, mail clients,
web browsers. etc... you got to choose what you want.  But I fell out
with XFCE on a couple of points that I've put below.  After that I've
been using Debian and Gnome for some more years, but since using Lenny
I'm even more *issed that I've got silly epiphany, evolution, and 17
stupid games that all depend on Gnome!

KDE is now looking more yummier than ever so I thinks I'll try it again,
but I feel I owe another look at XFCE and see things are now.  I've
continued to use XFCE on my servers to this day (the ones needing VNC)
as its tiny.

The two things I remember bugging me were...

- There was no 'Drawer' equivalent...  as in put launchers in the
sliding drawer, and that on the panel (like Gnome).
- There was no decent Menu Editor (like Alacarte in gnome) that used the
freedesktop.org specification.

Googling hasn't yet helped me confirm/deny if these are resolved... or
perhaps even if 'workarounds' exist to get them unofficially.

Any tips?

p.s. I was thinking of trying 4.4.2.1 which is in Debian Lenny/Sid and
also in Sidux... Anyone used the Sidux version?

--
Sincerely...

Steven Maddox
(Cyorxamp)