default desktop layout To: xfce at xfce.org

Tue Oct 14 15:43:04 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Sergey Manucharian <sergeym at rmico.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:19:25 +0300
> "Muayyad AlSadi" <alsadi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > so what is the point annoying all XFCE users for no reason except
> > resembling a dead (and to non-geeks unknown)  desktop environment
>
> Initially when I've switched to XFCE several years ago the main
> reason for me was namely this - CDE look and functionality.

Right, but if I tell you right now you can easily have this same look in
GNOME, would you switch? No, Xfce has other compelling features.

Anyway, the danger with using a CDE-like setup is that people have CDE (i.e.
ancient) expectations.

*HOWEVER*, the default layout should fit in with the developer's vision. If
"the FOSS CDE-like DE Olivier originally had in mind" is it, then that's
what it should be. If you look at, say, Xubuntu, whose goal it is more to
create a newbie-/user-friendly desktop, then a layout like Xubuntu's is more
fitting.

So IMHO there's really no argument here anymore for a different layout.

Best,
--
Vincent