default desktop layout To: xfce at xfce.org

Mark Trompell mark at foresightlinux.org
Tue Oct 14 10:44:40 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Muayyad AlSadi <alsadi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We already have a problem explaining to people XFCE is NOT a stripped Gnome.
> but gnome too has too panels, so this won't help
>> But the default should imho resemble CDE.
> why? to die like CDE!

I don't think CDE "died" because of the layout.
The way of organizing your aps in many menus on the panel instead of
organizing them
in one bottleneckish application submenu was always pretty handy.

> what you are saying "we don't have any reasons for this layout except
> making people think that we are a free stripped CDE and we are not
> gnome" this argument degrades the value of Xfce

He didn't say that, but If it looks like gnome, who can tell if you're
running gnome or xfce.

> as you might noticed many XFCE users change that layout just after first login

True, I always did, I added more apps to the starters.
For me it would be great to have one starter for every Category in the
Application menu.
Probably I should write a plugin to do that :)

> so what is the point annoying all XFCE users for no reason except
> resembling a dead (and to non-geeks unknown)  desktop environment

You would annoy a lot of Xfce users if you change that layout.

--
Mark Trompell

Foresight Linux Xfce Edition
Cause your desktop should be freaking cool
(and Xfce)