default desktop layout To: xfce at xfce.org

Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér morten at technographer.net
Tue Oct 14 10:36:03 CEST 2008

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:03:41 -0400
"Stephan Arts" <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Nothing keeping anyone from changing it... I'd prefer to keep it
> CDE-style.
>
> We already have a problem explaining to people XFCE is NOT a stripped
> Gnome. Lets stick to the roots, the FOSS CDE-like DE Olivier
> originally had in mind.
>
> The two-panel layout might be sub-optimal, but it is something that
> xfce has been identified with for over 10 years. In that time, the
> flexibility of xfce has improved and nothing is keeping people from
> moving stuff around.
>
> But the default should imho resemble CDE.
>
> My 2ct,
> Stephan

The right thing to do would be the lead developers' vision - and making
it easy to change! I don't have a problem with the Xfce default layout,
but I would never use it like that.
As for Xfce not being a stripped Gnome, I personally use it as a
Gnome version optimized for efficiency. And I think the Xfce GTK theme
is considerably more attractive than any of the Gnome themes. This is
why and how I use it.

Yours,

__
Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér