Shutdown is too easy

Jean-François Wauthy pollux at xfce.org
Wed Jul 20 10:08:58 CEST 2005

Le mardi 19 juillet 2005 à 23:33 -0400, David A. De Graaf a écrit :
> The 'exit' popup window offers three choices:
>   - Quit current session
>   - Reboot the computer
>   - Turn off the computer
>
> The convenience of single clicking to shut down the computer is vastly
> exceeded by the danger.  I would like to delete or disable this
> third option.  Such an irreversible action should take more effort.
>
> In preparation for a trip, I was experimenting with running a VNC
> connection from a laptop over an SSH tunnel to my main home computer.
> (XFCE works great in this configuration!)  However, I accidentally clicked
> "Turn off the computer".  Luckily I was sitting at home and could push
> the power button to turn it back on, but the thought of doing this while
> away from home is too scary to think about.
>
> Is there a way to remove this dangerous option?

IIRC the only way to stop the system whithout any further confirmation
is by setting sudo to not ask password for the current user for at
least /sbin/halt, /sbin/reboot/ and /sbin/shutdown

so i'd say configure sudo to ask you a password when you try to shutdown
the system...

cheers
--
Jean-François Wauthy <pollux at xfce.org>