Xfce Digest, Vol 20, Issue 17

Brett magnesium_ at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 13 16:22:55 CEST 2005

> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:51:02 -0700
> From: "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>
> Subject: Re: What is the build order of Xfce 4.2.2 from source?
> To: XFCE general discussion list <xfce at xfce.org>

> Er, is this email supposed to be readable?
>
> 	-b

Holy crap! I don't what the hell happened to my email. I ran it through
the Yahoo spell checker and it just completely destroyed it like
everything else Yahoo ruins. Here's the unencrypted version:

OK I finally got Xfce running. There definitely was something wrong with
pango, fontconfig, freetype and friends. I am not really sure which was at
fault. My best guess is that the Xft backend did not get built with Pango
because pkg-config didn't know the correct path to locate it before the
build. Pango looks like it will still build without it. The other
possibility may have been that TrueType fonts are not enabled in the free
type source by default because of patent crap which I made sure I did the
second time around.
 I basically just recompiled everything all over again to satisfy all the
GTK2 dependencies. Here's a partial list in order of install for anyone
having the same problems. freetype, fontconfig, render (was renamed to
renderext which made it harder to find the latest version), xrender
(renamed to libXrender in the latest versions), xft (renamed to libXft),
atk, pango and then the latest gtk2. Installed Xfce and all was well. I
went through all this trouble because I don't like the newer bloated
versions of Gnome and KDE and really want an alternative. Looks good so
far.

Brett