FC-4 installation -

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Sat Jul 9 21:02:19 CEST 2005

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Can anyone tell me exactly what to download, where to find it, and how
> to install xfce on my FC-4 system?

For FC4, you'll need Fedora Extras.  Luckily, it is enabled by default
in FC4.  To be sure, when you do a "yum check-update" or the like,
Extras should be one of the repos it checks.  If not (I think upgrades
may not enable it?), copy the FC3 lines here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/UsingExtras

into a file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ and they should work for FC4.

Now what you need are the Xfce packages.  I'm going to have you check
some things, because I don't have access to my FC4 box, so what I tell
you will be general.

First, as root, run "yum grouplist".  Now, if all goes well, at the
bottom of "Available Groups" there should be XFCE and XFCE Development
groups.  If so, yay!  Run "yum groupinstall XFCE" or whatever Xfce is
listed as (it was all caps in FC3) and grab the Development if you wish
as well with 'yum groupinstall "XFCE Software Development"'.

Now, that said, you will still miss some packages that you may as well
grab.  If so, I'd grab a GUI like yumex (yum install yumex):

http://linux.rasmil.dk/cms/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=1

Then, the ones you are missing mainly start with xfce4- and are things
like appfinder, etc., and also I'd grab gtk-xfce-engine.  To see the
ones not in the Xfce groups, look here and search for, say, "xf":

http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/repoview/__nogroup__.group.html

Hopefully this will work.

Matt

--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/