The weather apps/plugins

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Thu Aug 25 00:29:54 CEST 2005

Chris Green wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 12:08:32AM +0200, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>
>>Chris Green wrote:
>>
>>>BTW I'd really appreciate it if people didn't copy mail to me as well
>>>as to the list.
>>
>>Fix your MUA config then. You're explicitly listed in Reply-To:, and so
>>other MUAs will explicitly include you in replies.
>
> Surely they will only "explicitly include you in replies" if the user
> uses the 'group reply' command which seems to me to be the wrong thing
> to do.  I've had this argument before!  :-)

incorrect, any normal mail client explicitly sends a reply to every
reply-to address listed. This includes thundebird/mozilla, but also
lotus notes, outlook etc.

> (My MUA configuration is right for just about all the other mailing
> lists I belong to. This includes the mutt mailing list which one would
> think has got it right.)

Well, perhaps you want to read this:

I'm the foo-projects mailing list manager and our mailinglists have a
completely standard configuration with the exception of ONE
configuration item. This item is called 'reply-to-list' and sets the
reply-to of ALL messages to the list address, to assure that everyone
sees the discussion and we don't have half threads on the list.

The accompanying option 'strip-original-reply-to' is left UNSET, because
it allows non-subscribers to quickly drop a message on the list and
receive a message LATER after unsubscribing on their personal address,
or send a message unsubscribed to the list (which requires moderator
approval, but you'll get that eventually).

The only reason you get two copies is that your mail program includes a
explicit reply-to. This is completely duplicate as you already have a
normal sender address, which is subscribed of course. Because the
mailinglist software thinks you really really really want a reply-to, it
leaves your reply-to intact, and adds the mailinglists reply-to address.

IOW: change your user agent _not_ to include the reply-to header.

Regards,

Auke Kok

PS to rub it in you should have gotten this message twice, since I
clicked 'reply' in thunderbird. I'm a bastard, I know.