Removing decorations from a window

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Aug 23 11:04:59 CEST 2005

Chris Green wrote:
>>>As said several times in this thread: It has nothing to do with Xlib.
>>>It's a structure defined by Motif. You can find it in the Motif/Lesstif
>>>sources, in the gdk-x11 sources, in the Qt sources, and in the source of
>>>virtually every window manager known today.
>>
>>Ok, I decided to be nice:
>>
>>http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gtk%2B/gdk/x11/MwmUtil.h?view=markup
>>

> Thanks, but even that is GTK header file, it shouldn't really be necessary
> to use GTK to do this should it?

It's actually a GDK header file (gdk-x11 to be precise), which is not
installed. Just copy what you need from that file.

> I know this is probably a minority requirement but it does really seem
> to me that both 'ends' of the application <---> window manager
> relationship seem to be saying this is the job of the other end.

Really, look at the code I posted. The code makes it absolutely clear
who's responsible for what: The window manager does what the application
tells it to do (as Jasper said, the window manager is just an
implementation detail). The window manager alone is useless for this
very reason. It's only there to respond to the application's needs -
just like the Xserver. And just like you don't "interact" with the
Xserver directly (you only interact with the applications that display
their windows on the Xserver), you shouldn't interact with the window
manager directly (maximizing, minimizing, closing windows may be seen as
direct communication with the window manager, tho).

Benedikt