Removing decorations from a window

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Tue Aug 23 09:41:30 CEST 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:42:59PM +0200, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
> > ... and it works perfectly, thanks very much indeed Benedikt. I now
> > have a clock with no decorations!  :-)
> >
> > I still can't find the above structure documented anywhere in the Xlib
> > header files, I've looked hard.  The only hints structure I can find
> > in the X header files I have is XWMHints which doesn't have the
> > decorations bit. Where is what you put into that hints structure
> > documented?
>
> As said several times in this thread: It has nothing to do with Xlib.
> It's a structure defined by Motif. You can find it in the Motif/Lesstif
> sources, in the gdk-x11 sources, in the Qt sources, and in the source of
> virtually every window manager known today.

Ah, so I won't be able to find it where I'm looking.

It makes life a bit difficult really doesn't it.  Here I am writing
(well modifying in this case) an Xlib based X application, and I want
to change some hints and the only way I can do it is by using a set of
Widgets/Libraries/WMs that neither I nor the WM being targetted
apparently use.  OK, so xfce *does* know about the Motif stuff but it
does seem a bit obtuse that this is the only way to effect this
change.

As someone else pointed out it's also a bit unfriendly to the poor
non-programmer user.  The 'right' way to do something like remove
decorations (which the WM has put there whether you like it or not) is
to re-program the application!

Surely there's a case for a WM 'skin', style or whatever you call it
that has no decorations, that could be said to be the responsibility
of the WM.

> But since I posted the layout of the structure, you don't need to look
> for it anymore. ;-)

Quite right and thank you very much, I just like to satisfy my
curiosity about these things.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."