Login Stuck at KDM Screen

W. Lichtenberger wowowolf at web.de
Sun Aug 7 12:53:56 CEST 2005

Hi,

Regarding a sudden KDM inability to log in,

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:08:07 +0200, Rich Shepard
<rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    My temporary solution was to boot with a Knoppix disk and change
> /etc/inittab from runlevel 4 to runlevel 3. At least we can now log in
> to the
> console and run 'startx' (which is an alias to startxfce4).

May i suggest that you try a different DM?
On my old Laptop, i use WDM (http://freshmeat.net/projects/wdm), for
reasons of small memory consumption and, maybe more important to you,
comparatively few dependencies. It's basically XDM plus Session selection
and possible shutdown/reboot.

--
regards,
-- W. Lichtenberger