XFCE 4 updated in Debian package, latest version looks nice!

Brian Masinick masinick at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 16:32:35 CEST 2003

Lane P. Lester wrote:

>Ken Moffat <kmoffat at drizzle.com> wrote:
>

>>>When I did that, instead of seeing the CVS 0421 versions of stuff
>>>that I'd seen before, I saw XFCE 4.0.0-1 final on lots of libraries
>>>and XFCE packages, so I installed all of them, and it worked
>>>beautifully.
>>>

>>I'll try it right now. Thanks.
>>

>Well, I tried it, and now I'm afraid to restart! [woeful grin]
>
>I used the above, but the install generated some errors. When I ran
>apt-get install again, it generated a flock of unmet dependencies. So I
>tried apt-get -f install and got this at the end:
>Unpacking libxfcegui4-1 (from .../libxfcegui4-1_4.0.0.final-1_i386.deb)
>... dpkg: error processing
>/var/cache/apt/archives/libxfcegui4-1_4.0.0.final-1_i386.deb (--unpack):
>trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libxfcegui4.so.1.0.0', which is also in
>package libxfcegui4 dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken
>pipe) Errors were encountered while processing:
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libxfcegui4-1_4.0.0.final-1_i386.deb
>E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
>Ah, well, the joys of living on the bleeding edge.
>
>Lane
>____
>Lane P. Lester / Madison County, Georgia
>**Running Linux more and Windows less**

Hi Lane,

We probably have somewhat similar setups, so let me tell you what I did
with my setup and hopefully that will help you out.

First of all, some time ago I tried out a 0421 CVS build of XFCE 4.  It
worked, but only had part of the functionality.  I made sure to
explicitly remove all the packages that I had installed.  Second, I had
installed some Deb packages from a Mandrake build by using Alien, then
running dpkg -i to install these packages.  I got rid of them, too.
Third, I had used both the update-xfce script and some hand compiles.  I
removed any files that I knew that I had installed.  So I began with a
pretty clean slate.

To assist me in all of these activities, I have synaptic installed.  I
find that if I use synaptic to search for packages containing xfce, it
locates all version 3 and 4 packages and their corresponding libraries.
This makes it easy to see what to get rid of so that any packages that
have been installed by force will not break the new build.  Actually,
with synaptic, it even helped me locate such inconsistencies and I was
able to easily rectify them.

If you don't already use synaptic, you can get it easily: apt-get
install synaptic.

When I was ready to install, I didn't just say apt-get install xfce4.
When I had played with the CVS version some months back, I found it
wasn't until I located all the extra libraries that the packages
installed and worked cleanly, but apparently, at that time, not all of
the package dependencies were fully specified in the Debs, so I used
synaptic to fnd and install all of them.  By reversing the process, then
installing the new stuff, I had no problems at all, and it even worked
the FIRST TIME!  :-)

Feel free to either copy the forum or Email me if you continue to run
into problems; I'd be glad to help out and identify specific stuff, but
hopefully this explanation will get it for you.  Best wishes, this stuff
is WELL WORTH IT!

--
Brian Masinick
mailto:masinick at yahoo.com