xfce Panel and taskbar integration?

- Kocil k0c1l at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 6 07:11:11 CEST 2003

Cool Paul. I'm also Slacker (from Redhat), and XFCEr (from KDE).
IMHO, the most important bargaining points of XFCE are :
* Compare to bloated desktop, XFCE does not require too much resources.
  I have measured it, empty XFCE eat around 30 MB memory, while empty KDE
eat 60 MB !
  (start from text console). Lighter windows manager such as IceWM or FVWM
need around 20-30 MB.
* XFCE provides graphical setting and tools, which are lacked from some
windows managers.
  The tools match the rule of 20% most usefull features to do the 80% tasks.

But back to the topic.
I don't fell so comfortable with the panel size.
The vertical size can be changed (tiny, small, etc), but not the horizontal
size.
After adding some launcher items, there are shallow empty desktop space on
the left
and the right of the panel.  I'm sorry to say this, it's look ugly.

I thinks it would be better if we can adjust the panel size to the screen
width.
Some ideas :
  - separator item with adjustable width.
  - a new spacer item.
  - just provides a new options on the panel setting to resize the panel to
the screen width.
    The items in the panel can be aligned to the center, right or left.

I hope I'm not asking too much.

Thank you.