xfce Panel and taskbar integration?

Paul Ladouceur tipaul at look.ca
Wed Aug 6 15:40:22 CEST 2003

> Cool Paul. I'm also Slacker (from Redhat), and XFCEr (from KDE).

I've been on RedHat (1997), mandrake, Lycoris, YOPER and many others i
forgot... And for the desktop part: Was on KDE, XFCE (1999?), Gnome and
now XFCE4!

> But back to the topic.
> I don't fell so comfortable with the panel size.
> The vertical size can be changed (tiny, small, etc), but not the
> horizontal  size.
> After adding some launcher items, there are shallow empty desktop space
> on  the left
> and the right of the panel.  I'm sorry to say this, it's look ugly.

It's a personnal taste, as it were mentionned before... I like the
small-centered pannel style of XFCE and it seems that the developpers are
centering the project on it too!

For the usability, that doesn't change anything since the shallow empty
desktop space on each side are always unusable like it was the full-width
pannel... BUT for this, i've learn to use the auto-hide and now I have the
full desktop for working... No empty space!

> I thinks it would be better if we can adjust the panel size to the
> screen  width.
> Some ideas :
>   - separator item with adjustable width.
>   - a new spacer item.
>   - just provides a new options on the panel setting to resize the panel
> the screen width.
>     The items in the panel can be aligned to the center, right or left.
>
> I hope I'm not asking too much.

Already asked and there will be no plan to have the full-width pannel in
XFCE4! It's not the XFCE philosphy!!!

Regards,
Ti-Paul.