[Xfce-i18n] Translating GTK+ stock strings

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Sun Dec 14 16:14:32 CET 2008

Og Maciel kirjoitti:
> On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Jari Rahkonen
> <jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
>> What I'm
>> asking is if there's a way to use these upstream translations without
>> leaving the msgstr fields blank, so that these wouldn't show up as
>> untranslated strings in the translation statistics.
>
> You should translate them just so that you'll have 100% translation
> stats and get the upstream translations.

And how do I do that? That's exactly what I'm trying to find out. :)
What should I put in the msgstr fields to use the upstream GTK+
translations but still have these strings counted as translated?

I know, I should let this go and copy the translations from a recent
release of GTK+. Just thought I'd ask.

> However, I believe you should file a bug and ask for those strings to
> not be marked for translation.

I've seen enough bug reports in various projects that ask exactly the
opposite to know not to do that. I guess there are strings in GTK+ that
some languages simply do not have translations for that are generic and
accurate enough to be applicable in every common use case, and thus need
to be customized in the translations of applications.

However, it could be argued that individual stock strings shouldn't be
marked for translation unless specifically asked for by a translator.

- Jari