[Xfce-i18n] Translating GTK+ stock strings

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Sat Dec 13 18:31:08 CET 2008

Christian Dywan kirjoitti:
> Am Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:48:04 +0100
> schrieb Maximilian Schleiss <maximilian at xfce.org>:
>
>> Le samedi 13 décembre 2008 à 16:39 +0200, Jari Rahkonen a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Does the GTK+ stock string substitution work if I copy the original
>>> gtk-* strings to the translation, or do I need to leave them empty
>>> to use the upstream GTK+ translations? Thus far I've left them
>>> empty, but I'd rather not see untranslated messages in the
>>> statistics when there's nothing to translate.
>>>
>> as you mentioned, you have to leave 'gtk-' out and translate the rest.
>
> Stupid question here, why exactly do you want to translate internal
> string identifiers in the first place? You should either use stock
> items properly or actual readable text. Am I missing something?
>
> Regards,
>     Christian

Yes you are. I'm talking about strings like

#: ../dialogs/display-settings/display-dialog.glade.h:7
msgid "gtk-apply"
msgstr ""

and nine others in xfce4-settings (and a few in other Xfce packages)
that can be left blank to use the upstream GTK+ translations. What I'm
asking is if there's a way to use these upstream translations without
leaving the msgstr fields blank, so that these wouldn't show up as
untranslated strings in the translation statistics.

- Jari