Request to include xfce4-alsamixer to xfce

Andrzej andrzejr at xfce.org
Fri Jun 14 15:02:45 CEST 2024

Hi Tim,

There are two aspects to your request:
- Bringing a piece of software and a maintainer into the Xfce project. The main concern here is your skills and commitment. Talk to the team, maybe engage in smaller tasks etc.
- Suitability of xfce4-alsamixer - definitely. IMHO we should have a mixer that doesn't require a sound server. There was/is xfce4-mixer but I don't know which of these projects is a better starting point. Some time ago we (I, in fact) have moved to pulseaudio but it was a purely pragmatic choice, Gstreamer's mixer API was gone with no alternatives in sight and I wanted an easy fix that would give the most people a working mixer. Definitely not against ALSA or other solutions.

Thanks,
Andrzej