Request to include xfce4-alsamixer to xfce

Fri Jun 14 11:07:07 CEST 2024

As a quick correction, PipeWire is a modern replacement for legacy audio software. It doesn't orient itself torwards consumer-grade or professional-grade usage, but instead allows different modes of operation depending on someone's user case. This discussion is adressed in their FAQ. Please feel free to check it out if you're interested in the project's goals! See: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/FAQ#dont-pro-audio-and-consumer-audio-have-conflicting-requirements

In any case, PipeWire is just a reimplementation of older servers like PulseAudio and JACK. Internally, it makes use of ALSA's core libraries to speak with audio devices. In this way, it embraces the diversity of Linux ecosystem components, allowing for less latency and a better backend.

Given your interest in ALSA, you may wish to read up on their documentation. It's surprisingly clean, and offers insights into their design decisions. You might seriously like it!

Take care,
Barrett