Xfce 4.18 dependencies versions

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 09:16:49 CET 2022

Hi Adlo,

On Tue, 11 Jan 2022 at 08:16, adlo <adloconwy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it better to use the latest versions of libraries for development, or should I stick to versions that are available in slightly slower-cadence distros, such as the current Ubuntu LTS?

My advice is to use the best version for your needs and not to care
about whatever distro ships, even less the so called "LTS" versions.

Trying to target older versions of libraries often leads to spaghetti
code full of #ifdef to check the actual version of the various libs,
not something pleasant on newly written code.

By the time the code is ready, tested, and eventually used with Xfce,
chances are that the version of the libraries shipped with the so
called LTS distributions will be long deprecated upstream anyway.

And we're upstream.

Cheers
Olivier