Xfce project and financial contributions

Yousuf Philips ypharis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 21:18:39 CEST 2021

Hi Kevin,

I recently stumbled on opencollective, as it's being used by Endeavour OS,
and think it's a great idea. Also recently stumbled on some bad news about
bountysource on twitter[1] where the user mentioned that they were back at
it again, so we should definitely not support them. Another option might be
the Software Freedom Conservancy, which I heard handles all legal stuff,
taxes, donations, etc. so that devs can focus on what they do best. Not
sure if this was ever discussed on the ML, but it would be great if an Xfce
foundation was set up, similar to how Gnome and KDE have one.

I've run personal fundraising campaigns, as well as proposed a fundraising
campaign when I was contributing to LibreOffice, and also do marketing in
my day job, so here are some ideas I've thought about for xfce from months
back. We should take examples from Linux Mint[2], Sparky[3] and Ubuntu
Mate[4], who put out funding reports of donations that come in and what
they are or will be used for. We should have a sponsors page with donors
who pledge a particular amount each month or support xfce by other means,
e.g. GhostBSD[5]. Have both one-time and monthly donation options with
minimum amounts that are reasonable, so that processing fees don't eat a
huge chunk of the donation. Set donation goals that when reached, something
will be unlocked, e.g. contracting a web dev to revamp the website, buying
HiDPI screens to help fix related bugs, etc.

[1] https://twitter.com/CassidyJames/status/1379810821874745349
[2] https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4049
[3] https://sparkylinux.org/april-2020-donation-report/
[4]